do Plymouth conflicts with Fsck?

Paulo Silva nitrofurano at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 06:37:37 PDT 2010

hi!

I'm an Ubuntu user since version 4.10, and the last fresh install i
did were at version 6.10, and did upgrades since then.

when i upgraded Ubuntu to version 10.4, i realised some issues:
1. Fsck, when we boot Ubuntu in text mode, stopped to work properly,
which means that so useful and important progress bar of filesystems
checking, simply disapeared, making us imagine that the boot process
hanged or crashed, forcing us to restart the machine, and consequently
getting the risk on damaging the hard disks involved.
2. Usplash were replaced with Plymouth. I had Usplash disabled from
the StartupManager tool, and so, when the Ubuntu upgrade replaced
Usplash with Plymouth on my back, i didn't realize that happened,
since Plymouth kept disabled as i wished Usplash as well.
3. When i ask online about this Fsck issue, the answers i normally get
were this has a direct relation with the Plymouth, what makes me think
that: Plymouth is somehow conflicting with Fsck, or Plymouth disabled
some very important configuration file items that Fsck used.
4. Some answers i got about this lack of Fsck progress bar in the 10.4
upgrade were a design option from Ubuntu. For me it's more misdesign
than design...
5. From people have Plymouth defaultly turned on, there seems to be no
key combination for reaching the boot in text mode, specially when the
boot process took too long, and we don't know exactly what is
happening. Is the only possible key combination in this situation
alt+sysrq+b ?

thanks in advance for any reply or feedback of these questions, which
i am very concerned about - i wanted to have my hard disks working
fine for some more years...... :/

cheers,
Paulo

--
Don't give Microsoft the remote control. Don't use Windows 7.
<http://windows7sins.org>