Need info on renderer plugin mecanism

Alexandre Demers alexandre.f.demers at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 15:24:34 PST 2011

Hi,

First, I'd like to know if I understand correctly the renderer plugin
mecanism. From what I can see from the source,  it seems there is a
plugin for each drm driver (intel/ati/nvidia). Is that right?

If there was a new drm driver in the wild (let's say for an S3 card), it
would need a new plugin and probably to rebuild Plymouth in a whole,
because it digests all plugins in a single lib (drm.so). At least, that
library would need to be recompiled, right?

Also, if no drm driver is on the machine Plymouth is installed to, it
will default by itself to a text interface, isn't it?

So, there is no reason to have absolutly one of the drm libraries for
Plymouth to run.

That's all I need to know for now.

Thank you,

--