Need info on renderer plugin mecanism

Ray Strode halfline at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 15:46:18 PST 2011

Hi,

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 6:24 PM, Alexandre Demers
<alexandre.f.demers at gmail.com> wrote:
> First, I'd like to know if I understand correctly the renderer plugin
> mecanism. From what I can see from the source,  it seems there is a
> plugin for each drm driver (intel/ati/nvidia). Is that right?
That's right.  There's also an untested libkms backend that in theory
should work for anthing that there is support in libkms for.  When
libkms gains support for radeon, i'll probably switch to using it
exclusively.

> If there was a new drm driver in the wild (let's say for an S3 card), it
> would need a new plugin and probably to rebuild Plymouth in a whole,
> because it digests all plugins in a single lib (drm.so). At least, that
> library would need to be recompiled, right?
Right (or get the support added to libkms)

> Also, if no drm driver is on the machine Plymouth is installed to, it
> will default by itself to a text interface, isn't it?
Well, it will fallback to using /dev/fb  If that doesn't work either,
then it will use the text interface.

--Ray