Plymouth text mode flicker

Kai Hendry hendry at webconverger.com
Thu Jul 11 21:13:37 PDT 2013

Hi there,

I believe I'm using Plymouth 0.8.8-4~baureo1 in Webconverger and I'm
experiencing an annoying flickr on boot demonstrated in this video:
http://youtu.be/dU4qs9QECt4?t=16s

All I want is progress bar running along the bottom, taking the whole
width until Xorg boots up.

I don't know why Plymouth flickers in the middle and then has a
progress bar running along a quarter of the screen. Looks really ugly.

I'm not worried about KMS. I do not want to go through the bother of
supporting all sorts of video frame buffers. So I am hoping this will
work on bog standard vesa on a very wide range of hardware.

Else maybe I'm better off without a progress bar and Plymouth at all?
I wonder what are the alternatives for showing that a machine is
booting on a slow machine.

Many thanks for your feedback!