Plymouth text mode flicker

Ray Strode halfline at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 11:05:58 PDT 2013

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 12:13 AM, Kai Hendry <hendry at webconverger.com>wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I believe I'm using Plymouth 0.8.8-4~baureo1 in Webconverger and I'm
> experiencing an annoying flickr on boot demonstrated in this video:
> http://youtu.be/dU4qs9QECt4?t=16s

So what you're seeing there is the KMS driver changing the number of rows
and columns the console takes up.  The text plugin doesn't handle this
right now (though it probably could, there would still be a slight flicker
when the mode changes)

Your best best is to avoid flicker is to avoid calling plymouth show-splash
until the modesetting driver has loaded (which you should do as early as
possible)

> I'm not worried about KMS. I do not want to go through the bother of
> supporting all sorts of video frame buffers. So I am hoping this will
> work on bog standard vesa on a very wide range of hardware.

If you don't care about KMS you could put nomodeset=1 on the kernel command
line and something like vga=0x318 to force a particular vesa mode.  But
doing that won't look great on a wide variety hardware, since you'll end up
with non-native pixel sizes.

--Ray