[Pm-utils] pm-suspend working only after resuming from pm-hiberante

Leonardo Canducci leonardocanducci at yahoo.it
Tue Oct 7 01:47:04 PDT 2008

--- Mar 7/10/08, Victor Lowther <victor.lowther at gmail.com> ha scritto:

> Da: Victor Lowther <victor.lowther at gmail.com>
> Oggetto: Re: [Pm-utils] pm-suspend working only after resuming from pm-hiberante
> A: leonardocanducci at yahoo.it
> Cc: pm-utils at lists.freedesktop.org
> Data: Martedì 7 ottobre 2008, 00:55
> On Mon, 2008-10-06 at 21:04 +0000, Leonardo Canducci wrote:
> > I've been struggling with suspend to ram for two
> weeks trying to get it to work and I found out a very
> strange behaviour:
> > - 2disk or pm-hibernate work fine out of the box
>
> Video working after a hibernate/thaw cycle is the usual
> thing -- the
> BIOS fully reinitializes the video hardware when you boot
> the system to
> wake up from hibernate, so we don't have to with the
> various quirks.

That explains why pm-hibernate works all the time.
> > - s2ram and pm-suspend from X work *only* when
> resuming from hibernate
>
> Hmmm... I am not parsing this correctly.  Are you trying to
> say that you
> are able to suspend/resume using s2ram or pm-suspend only
> after a
> hibernate/thaw cycle, or something else?
Right. I understand why pm-hibernate works - video is reinitialized every time - but why s2ram doesn't work on a normal boot while it does after a hibernate cycle? Video should be initialized the same way in both cases, normal boot and thaw (resume from disk).

> > Invoking s2disk or pm-suspend on a normal boot seem to
> suspend the laptop correctly
> > but on resume, no matter what quirks I try, laptop is
> freezed with blank screen and no
> > keyboard control. On resume hd led flashes for a
> while, so hd should be ok, but caps lock
> > led doesn't (magic sysrq doesn't help).
> > My laptop is a 2004 acer travelmate 290 with ipw2200
> and 855gm intel graphics.
> > The problem is somewhat related to the graphic card
> since s2ram works properly in
> > console (when no X is started) and even in X when
> using vesa instead of intel driver in
> > xorg.conf.
> > I've read some documentation on s2ram and pm-utils
> pages and googled around. I tried
> > passing "-f -a3" or "-f -p -m"
> options as suggested for intel driver. also lshal|grep
> > quirk returns nothing.
> > I've also tried creating a file in /etc/pm/sleep.d
> with:    SLEEP_MODULE=”uswsusp”
> > SUSPEND_MODULES=”psmouse”
> > S2RAM_OPTS=”-f -a3″
> > with no luck.
>
> Hmmm... vanilla pm-utils does not use S2RAM_OPTS.  What
> distro and
> revision of pm-utils are you using?
I'm running debian lenny with stock debian kernel 2.6.26. As a matter of fact I supposed that option wasn't considered since I tried passing wrong arguments (i.e. S2RAM_OPTS=”-pizza″) and got no errors. pm-utils is version 1.1.2.4-1.

> > My conclusion is: there must be some magic in the way
> s2disk/pm-suspend handles the video
> > card... but what's that? Do you have some hints?
>
> pm-hibernate and s2disk don't do any handling of the
> video card at all
> by default.
So why does pm-suspend works every time after an hibernate/thaw cycle and doesn't on a normal boot? That's wierd!

Regards,
Leonardo

      Scopri il blog di Yahoo! Mail:
Trucchi, novità e la tua opinione.