[Pm-utils] pm-utils 1.2.2.1 released

Victor Lowther victor.lowther at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 04:59:56 PDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-10-06 at 21:12 -0500, Robby Workman wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 20:30:56 -0500
> Victor Lowther <victor.lowther at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > And hot on the heels of that one, 1.2.2.1 makes auto-quirks work with
> > more than one quirk.
>

> Cool.  I don't really have any information available to debug it (as
> the reporter can't get to system logs), but what are the chances that
> hd corruption on resume from suspend to ram would have been caused by
> this?   Reporter advised the system was "acting funny" after the
> resume, and then after he decided to halt the system, there were errors
> from rc.K, and those error messages being echoed to console contained
> xml markup that he recognized from a file he'd recently been working on
> (IOW, it was as if that file's contents were now in rc.K).  After
> booting the system with a livecd, two partitions seemed fine, but what
> was the system's root partition was no longer detected as ext3 at all.
> Last I talked to him, recovery was progressing better than expected,
> but with much population in /lost-and-found

Ouch. :(  I have never seen a failed resume actually eat a file system
(we sync just before kicking off the suspend process, and I think the
kernel does again as part of its suspend routine), but I have heard of
it happening -- the kernel, storage drivers, and filesystems are pretty
stable across a suspend/resume these days, but they weren't always.
Also, part of suspend and resume is handled by ACPI, and if the ACPI
info on the system in question is buggy then all bets are off.

Without logs, kernel revision information, or info on the actual
hardware, I can only speculate on what might have caused his root
partition to get eaten.

> Anyway, this is the only negative report I've gotten - all other
> feedback has been along the lines of "wow - thanks" (just to throw in
> some positivity to the mail)  :-)

Good to hear. :)

> -RW
Victor Lowther