[Pm-utils] pm-suspend working only after resuming from, pm-hiberante

Stefan Seyfried seife at suse.de
Tue Oct 7 11:59:42 PDT 2008

Leonardo Canducci wrote:
> --- Mar 7/10/08, Stefan Seyfried <seife at suse.de> ha scritto:
>> Are you running the latest BIOS available for that machine?
>> Which intel driver? "i810" (old) or
>> "intel" (new)?
> BIOS is up to date. I flashed it a couple of months ago with no visible changes.
> I'm using intel driver. with i810 I get the same results (but it used to work better with suspend to ram a few months ago when I was running ubuntu). As I said before with "vesa" driver suspend to ram work flawlessly. So the problem must be related to the video driver.

Well, so filing a bug against the Xorg component of your distribution might help.

>>> My conclusion is: there must be some magic in the way
>>> s2disk/pm-suspend handles the video card... but
>> what's that? Do you
>>> have some hints?
>> Not necessarily. It might be an issue of interaction
>> between the kernel
>> and the BIOS which makes s2ram only work after the resume
>> routines of
>> s2disk have run once.
> I'd like to know if I could take advantage of such routines in some way.
>> It might be an issue of "shutdown" vs.
>> "platform" mode, etc.
> I know nothing about that modes. Could you point me to some docs?

/usr/src/linux/Documentation/power/basic-pm-debugging.txt

>> Generally it looks like a kernel problem, not a pm-utils
>> problem.
> If so what is the best place to ask?

If you are not running a recent vanilla kernel, filing a bug report atainst
your distribution will probably be the best idea.
--
Stefan Seyfried
R&D Team Mobile Devices            |              "Any ideas, John?"

This footer brought to you by insane German lawmakers:
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)