polkit 0.94

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 06:48:22 PDT 2009

2009/8/12 David Zeuthen <david at fubar.dk>:
> On Wed, 2009-08-12 at 14:10 -0700, Daniel Nicoletti wrote:
>> As I said, my distro didn't package it yet.
>>
>> So I have to compile it myself,
>> my version of DBus is the same of people that
>> have it working.
>> (1.2.16-2  which is new enough).
>> Also you could try to help me fix it instead of
>> telling me to use a package. I use Debian,
>> Dario uses Gentoo, do you really think these two
>> distros have broken packages?
>
> No, that is not what I said. People I know that use Debian and Ubuntu
> don't have these problems. And I generally have pretty high faith in
> these distros - that's why I tell people to use distro packages.
>
>> We share the same
>> problems.
>> Really tell me what can I do with gdb so I can help
>> this issue to be solved...
>
> OK, no need to spam the list with this. Please file a bug here
>
>  https://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=PolicyKit

Hi David, hi Daniel,

I can confirm this problem and could trace it down to an issue in
glibc (Debian currently has 2.9).

The code is in stdlibc/stdlib.c

ep = __environ;
  while (*ep != NULL)
..
and ep being NULL. in this case, leading to the segfault.

The same code in glibc 2.10 is
  ep = __environ;
  if (ep != NULL)
    while (*ep != NULL)

So it seems to be an issue with 2.9 and Ubuntu (karmic has 2.10, dunno
about Fedora) is not affected by this.

I assume, the bug reports from the Gentoo users are with glibc < 2.10 also

Cheers,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?