[poppler] poppler/poppler: PDFDoc.cc, 1.1.1.1, 1.2 PDFDoc.h, 1.2, 1.3

Leonard Rosenthol leonardr at pdfsages.com
Wed Jul 6 08:25:14 PDT 2005

At 5:19 PM +0200 7/6/05, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
>Yes, i've read that in the pdf spec implementation notes, but i tried that
>over 100 pdf i have in my test collection and all opened fine, anyway the
>spec clearly says %%EOF has to be the last thing so i really see no reason
>why someone should not follow that "simple to follow" thing even if Acrobat
>allows other behaviour.

	In general practice, it's extra white space (so you may only
want to look for that)....

	FYI: the original reason for the implementation in Acrobat
was to enable automatic handling of MacBinary encoded PDF's on
Windows (ie. no need to decode).  Given the number of MB-encoded PDFs
in the wild approaches 0 very quickly, that's not a valid reason
anymore (IMO).

	I have seen a number of PDFs that don't start with %PDF at
byte 0, where the programmer was into "commenting" and put a bunch of
comments before the %PDF (and spaced all throughout the PDF as well!).

Leonard