[poppler] poppler-glib

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Fri Mar 18 07:54:23 PST 2005

Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
> At 02:01 AM 3/18/2005, Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
>
>> So, here's my attempt at a glib wrapper.
>

>         One area that isn't covered is exposing the permissions.  Does
> the user have the right to copy, print, etc. the document?
>
>         I would recommend that you put permission handling INSIDE the
> wrapper, rather than exposing it to the caller - so that all callers
> will be sure to implement them the same (consistent) way.

You're right, it's something the wrapper needs to expose, along with
many other attributes I haven't yet implemented.  But I don't want
poppler to enforce these settings, that's a choice the application has
to make.  I know that kpdf recently went through a flamewar over this
very issue and I don't want to repeat that for poppler.  Personally, I
think preventing a user from printing a document or saving it is a
little harsh, but I'm going to preempt the whole discussion by leaving
the decision to applications.

cheers,
Kristian