[poppler] pdftoppm - Error: Couldn't find a font for 'UMVSUI+ArialNarrow-Bold', subst is 'Helvetica'

Thomas Freitag Thomas.Freitag at kabelmail.de
Wed Feb 8 08:15:20 PST 2012

Am 08.02.2012 15:29, schrieb Stefano Emilio Campanini:
> On 8 February 2012 15:09, Stefano Emilio Campanini
> <stefano.campanini at tinvention.net>  wrote:
>> 2012/2/8 suzuki toshiya<mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp>:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Could you post a sample PDF (or upload it to somewhere) showing
>>> the warning? It seems that the object reference tree in the PDF is
>>> looking like as if the PDF includes embedded fonts for ArialNarrow,
>>> CourierNewPS, etc, but poppler could not load them (and substituted
>>> them by external font resource).
>> They are eBooks not free, how can give you they without break copyrights ?
>> There is another way ? Can I extract a single page, without modify
>> what you need for investigate the problem ?
>> Suggest me the way , please.
>>
> Hi mpsuzuki,
>
> I have trained on linux and the error disappear, any ideas to solve it
> on Windows ?
Font searching behaves completely different on Windows and Unix: on Unix
fontconfig is used to find the font file, where as under Windows the
font must be installed with THIS name, otherwise it takes ALWAYS helvetica.
Now I'm wondering a little bit over Your error messages under Windows:
*UMVSUI+*ArialNarrow-Bold hints to the fact, that the font data should
be embedded in the PDF, if the font is NOT emebedded in the PDF font
names look more readable, in this case I would expect something like
ArialNarrow-Bold without the prefix.
So I see two possibilities for Your problem: the PDF is coruupted so
that pdftoppm is not able to find the font data in the PDF file or the
PDF is ok, the font data is embedded but pdftoppm has a problem with
this PDF.
Because I can't look into the PDF, You must do it by Your own: Open the
PDF with a text editor like textpad and search for
UMVSUI+ArialNarrow-Bold. You should find something like (be careful,
just a sample)

28 0 obj<</StemV 88/FontName/XCFNXW+MyriadPro-Regular/*FontFile3 27 0
R*/Flags 4/Descent -250/FontBBox[-157 -250 1126 952]/Ascent
952/CapHeight 674/XHeight 484/Type/FontDescriptor/ItalicAngle 0>>

The interesting is the FontFileX, it says, that the font is embedded.
and You should then have, in this case, an object 27 0 obj like:

27 0 obj<</Subtype/CIDFontType0C/Length 3506/Filter/FlateDecode>>stream

The interesting pattern is here the stream keyword.

If You find something like this we probably have bug in pdftoppm, but we
couldn't solve that without having the PDF file. Another idea could be
to do a "better" substitute, recognize that we search for Arial Narrow
Bold (this is the name for it under windows) and take that. This still
would give You the error messages but probably gives You a better output!

Regards,
Thomas