[poppler] Annot rendering improvements

Carlos Garcia Campos carlosgc at gnome.org
Sat Mar 31 03:59:34 PDT 2012

Excerpts from Fabio D'Urso's message of jue mar 29 00:47:36 +0200 2012:

> The attached patches contain many improvements in Annot rendering
> (and thus printing).

Thank you very much for the patches. I've tried them with
pdf_commenting_new.pdf, which has a lot of annotations without
appearance streams.

> 0001 is a bug fix, to make it possible to hide annotations when
> printing.

This was already committed, so nothing to say.

> 0002 fixes the existing AnnotGemetry::draw method.

It doesn't seem to make any different in any of my pdf files, so we
would need a pdf to test it and include it to our regtests.

> 0003, 0004, and 0007 implement Annot*::draw methods from scratch.

Ditto.

> 0005 adds leading line support when drawing AnnotLines.

This causes that nothing is drawn in page 7 of pdf_commenting_new
where Leader extension lines are supposed to be. Previously, two lines
were rendered, although without the leading thing.

> 0006 adds support for typeSquiggly and fixes some bugs that prevented other types from being drawn.

This one shows empty diff images for some of the documents I have that
contain highligh annotations. It's not considered a regression, but
it's not an improvement either. So, again, we would need pdf files
where these improvements can be tested.

> Note on 0007: AnnotFreeText is a box with text inside. This patch only implements basic functionality:
>   - it can't print the full range of Unicode characters (in fact it converts to WinAnsi before printing)
>   - font is hardcoded. Note that the font resource dict is not written when outputting to PS. This fact results in a invalid font reference in the Tf command. However, font is substituted and a warning is issued in all ps viewers I have at hand
>
> I'll try to fix 0007 to output font res dict tomorrow, but I feel that even at this stage this basic implementation can be useful.
> The other patches are final

I haven't tried this yet, since it doesn't seem to be finished.

Thanks!
--
Carlos Garcia Campos
PGP key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x523E6462