[poppler] Turning off anti-aliasing and hinting?

David Woodfall dave at dawoodfall.net
Tue Feb 12 14:38:28 PST 2013

Hi, I would like to know if there is a simple way of turning off
anti-aliasing and hinting.

I ask because Evince (using poppler(cairo) backend) shows text as
quite blurry. Here's a screenshot to show you how it looks. On the
left of the vertical line is Chromium browser, on the right is Evince
rendering some text:

http://www.r0t.co.uk/sshots/shot-7822251491.gif

My eyes aren't great and prefer a crisper font rendering these days.
I'm running Slackware 14.0 with fluxbox as WM and have anti-aliasing
turned in fontconfig.

Any help greatly appreciated.

--
When all you have is a Swiss Army Knife, every problem looks like email.
    -- Peter da Silva