[Portland] kbuildsycoca and xdg-utils

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Wed Aug 9 05:44:37 PDT 2006

On Tuesday 08 August 2006 00:33, Tom Whipple wrote:
> (sending to list)
>
> On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 19:43 +0200, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >  The second patch tries to remove the KDE warnings all over the testsuite
> > (well, and also the strange test using "$GDMSESSION" = "kde" - how many
> > people do actually really have it set this way?). Since the test now kind
> > of requires X display I also removed set_no_display in needed places.
>
> A possible use case for the install time tools is for a system
> administrator to install applications via a remote session where there
> is no display set. Therefore, it is necessary to leave the
> set_no_display to verify that a headless install works correctly. The
> test requires an X display only for the user to verify the install was
> correct, not for the utility we are testing to run correctly. There is
> still value in running the test non-interactively.
>
> The warnings for KDE seem tied to the fixes to xdg-utils you propose.
> Assuming Waldo & others are OK with those changes (and assuming they
> work), then we can remove the warnings.

 We can't, if the system tests remain running in a clean environment, because
in such case it's not possible to trigger and wait for the user's
kbuildsycoca. And it's probably more valuable to test that even at the
expense of having the warning and the somewhat annoying checking of the menu
waiting for the items to show up.

> I will take out the $GDMSESSION reference though.

 The proper check to test whether KDE is running is testing for
$KDE_FULL_SESSION being set.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer