[Portland] DESTDIR support for xdg-utils

Bastian, Waldo waldo.bastian at intel.com
Tue Aug 22 10:44:41 PDT 2006

>On 8/22/06, Bastian, Waldo <waldo.bastian at intel.com> wrote:
>> I'm not sure. It seems that you are trying to run a post-install hook
as
>> part of the package building process. I'm not sure I understand why
you
>> want to do that. If you run this part truly post-installation you
will
>> not run into these problems. Doesn't gentoo provide facilities for
that?

>no, the part xdg-(mime|desktop|icon) is supposed to do is to install
>files into /usr/share/
>
>installing of stuff should be done during installation and package
>creation phase where no root access is given.

I can see the point for this line of reasoning if you make gentoo-only
packages but in the general case the install location will differ
depending on the distribution on the target system and so this
installation can not be part of the package creation process.

>This phase can also be
>done by an use with DESTDIR= set.
>
>The only part that xdg-mime does and should be done post-installation
>is update-mime-database. And, yes, Gentoo does have facilities to do
>that without xdg-* tools help.
>
>Installation cannot happen in post-installation because then files
>would not get tracked and removed when uninstalling the package.

Just as there is a post-intallation phase, there surely is also a
pre-uninstallation phase. Is there a way to associate a file dynamically
with the package management system on gentoo?

Cheers,
Waldo