[Portland] DESTDIR support for xdg-utils

Stefan Schweizer genstef at gentoo.org
Tue Aug 22 11:04:22 PDT 2006

On 8/22/06, Bastian, Waldo <waldo.bastian at intel.com> wrote:
> >installing of stuff should be done during installation and package
> >creation phase where no root access is given.
>
> I can see the point for this line of reasoning if you make gentoo-only
> packages but in the general case the install location will differ
> depending on the distribution on the target system and so this
> installation can not be part of the package creation process.

xdg-utils has installation locations hardcoded and those are used on
every distribution. It can differ on local installations with
user-only access though, but that does not matter for the packaging
usecase.

> >Installation cannot happen in post-installation because then files
> >would not get tracked and removed when uninstalling the package.
>
> Just as there is a post-intallation phase, there surely is also a
> pre-uninstallation phase. Is there a way to associate a file dynamically
> with the package management system on gentoo?

no, that is not possible, sorry. I do not think other packaging
systems support this either.

Best regards,
Stefan