[Portland] The Code

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Feb 16 01:24:25 EET 2006

On Wednesday 15 February 2006 22:23, Lubos Lunak wrote:

>  Oops. No matter how much one checks there's always one more thing that can
> go wrong :). I've updated the tarball to use automake + make, it should
> hopefully work properly now. With one small detail caused by switching to
> inferior buildsystem, now "make" needs to be "make -C lib && make" (or just
> plain "make -k" until everything builds). I'll fix that as soon as I recall
> how ;).

In Makefile.am, instead of this:
SUBDIRS = $(TOPSUBDIRS)
use
SUBDIRS = lib daemon_generic daemon_kde test

Your move comes at a good time, as I was about to suggest some kind of
prototyping as well.

I have been working on a similar solution[1] for some time now.
It started out as a library to let Qt applications do such things like
starting preferred applications in a crossplatform way.

However I started moving over to an out-of-process modell using DBus, thus
enabling service implementation in the desktop's preferred way (like you do
as well) and make it accessible to non-Qt applications (the service API is
now a DBus interface)

My suggestion would be to do a simple prototype interface in DBus, try to
implement it for the common DEs, find current restrictions/implementation
problems, get feedback from application developers, repeat.

I am volunteering to work on the KDE service implementation and keeping the
Qt3 DBus binding in shape for the necessary requirements as we move along.

Cheers,
Kevin

[1] http://qds.berlios.de/
(current downloads are still the old non-DBus release, I can create a
development snapshot if there is interest but the sources can also be fetched
via Berlios' anonymous SVN)

--
Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>
Qt/KDE Developer, Debian User