[Portland] xdg_vfs_gnome command line client

nf2 nf2 at scheinwelt.at
Fri Jun 2 03:39:47 PDT 2006

Bastian, Waldo wrote:
>> Why do you want to separate payload and control data? You would still
>> have to 'escape' payload data, because what if you want to transport
>> multiple files? Also you might have to IO-multiplex on the client side
>> if you have two pipes to read from.
>>

> What's the point of a command line tool if it's so complicated to use
> that you need a library o parse it's output? Keep it simple!

I'm still looking for a good compromise. Combining commands like
'openfiledlg', 'info' (stat and mimetype) and 'get' seems quite useful,
because i'm sure the user doesn't want to login more than once (both KIO
and Gnome-VFS seem to be client-process oriented with login dialogs). I
agree that the output format should be very simple, but this requires
some kind of multi-section output.

What do You think of streaming data via stdin/stdout in general? I think
it makes sense to avoid temporary files, especially where the files are
huge. Audio/video de-, encoding or playing for instance. With xdg-vfs
applications like Audacity could load/save and transcode files from
remote ftp/sftp/smb shares on the fly...

Norbert