[Portland] xdg-utils beta4 available

Bastian, Waldo waldo.bastian at intel.com
Fri Sep 15 09:48:21 PDT 2006

>>     * support for SVG icons is not very widespread since it has only
>>       been added to relative recent desktop versions. Should we drop
>>       support for SVG icons from xdg-icon-resource?
>
>imo, no.  I suggest letting desktop's play catch-up.

I understand where you are coming from but I think leaving it as-is
presents a problem. When you develop an application for Linux you want
certain things, like having a menu entry with a proper icon, to just
work. Having an icon not show up for half of your users is not really an
option.

Note also that "catching up" takes a lot longer for production systems
than for people that tend to stay on the bleeding edge as a lot of
desktop developers and distro people do. For a lot of end-users catching
up only happens if RHEL or SLES includes it in a new service pack, and I
doubt that a feature upgrade like SVG rendering makes it into such
service packs.

Cheers,
Waldo