[Promotion] Fitting apps into the picture

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Mon Aug 7 08:26:09 PDT 2006

Ahoy,

I've been vaguely taking notice of the discussion on the GNOME marketing list
about the web site changes. They look really impressive, it's great to see a
project tackling such an enormous subject in such an organised manner :o)

My eyebrows were raised, however, when reading about the GNOME application
pages. Quim Gil has drawn a nice diagram summarising the idea [1].

It raises an interesting question: where does GNOME (or KDE for that matter)
draw the line between promoting applications that are central to the
platform, and those that are completely independent? Gergely Nagy says apps
will be listed if they are "relevant to GNOME" [2] but that's not a very
useful guide.

This relates to the huge issue of defining what "GNOME" is, what The GNOME
Project should be marketing specifically, which in turn raises many, many
complex questions. We could go into that if people want, though I'm aware that
the GNOME Foundation is working on an answer. What I'm interested in is this:
what are the implications for the "Linux desktop" or the "open source
desktop" or the "free desktop" marketing ploy, if GNOME.org promotes Inkscape
as being "related" to GNOME? [1] Inkscape uses GNOME libraries, and conforms
to the GNOME HIG, but is otherwise a fairly independent project. They don't
mention GNOME prominently in any of their promotional pages (just mentions of
the FAQ and possible inclusion in GNOME office in their FAQ) [3].

I roll my eyes when I hear people say "we need a GNOME version of K3B" or "a
KDE version of The GIMP", as though the libraries used are relevant. Over the
past few years lots of effort has gone into making that distinction
irrelevant to the end user. But are we in danger of reinforcing it by
suggesting that Inkscape is part of, or relevant to GNOME and not KDE, or
vice versa with K3B? Does it make sense for us to pit Digikam and F-Spot
against each other in that way, rather than on their own merits?

I can see how it makes sense to include promo slots for lots of high quality
apps on the GNOME web site, and I like the new focus that has been decided
upon, but I wonder what the wider implications are. I see the future of our
marketing efforts as positioning KDE and GNOME as key parts of "the free
desktop", with apps like Inkscape and Digikam being separate parts (except
when targetting developers, of course). In fact if I was Dictator of the
World I'd be tempted set-up a cross-desktop web site promoting apps, and have
each "desktop project" point to that, then highlight how their framework
contributes to those apps. If that makes any sense.

It partly depends on where we apply our marketing effort... at the level of
the libraries, that plus the "desktop environment" (i.e. panels, background,
file mananger), all of that plus the really cool applications that make
extensive use of GNOME/KDE technologies, or even just abandon that and help
Canonical, Ark, Novell, Mandriva, etc. market their products!

I'd love to hear some thoughts from others on this.

Regards,
Tom

[1] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/marketing-list/2006-August/msg00047.html
[2] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/marketing-list/2006-August/msg00025.html
[3] http://www.inkscape.org

--
The task of critique is not to denounce the ideals, but to show their
transformation into ideologies, and to challenge the ideology in the