Fwd: [Promotion] Rolling up things

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Wed Dec 27 14:19:28 PST 2006

Ahoy,

On Wednesday 27 December 2006 21:30, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> I might add that this good collaboration some are dreaming of is also a
> matter of trust building between the projects involved. It's not like you
> want to discuss all those strategics in public, and certainly not if you're
> not convinced that the people you share it with will be dealing with it in
> a way, that is beneficial to all the parties involved.
>
> We might want to work on that in the first place.

Yes indeedy. If a good working relationship could develop between the main
bods in KDE and GNOME then it would actually save a significant amount of
time and energy, far from being costly as Jeff suggested.

Step back and look at the sum total of our marketing research for a moment and
consider how much more sense it would make to share our work, to collaborate
where appropriate! Particularly when it comes to market research, it is
impossible for either project to develop an effective strategy without fully
considering the other. It's not so much about developing a common marketing
strategy, but rather collaborating on marketing research to develop our own
kick arse strategies :) This isn't going to happen so long as people in each
project guard their work. It also needn't happen in public, by the way. It
could mean the key people from KDE, GNOME, Firefox, OOo etc. talking
privately.

Then there are tools, documentation (e.g. www.spreadkde.org/handbook), contact
books and other resources we can share to our mutual benefit. I can't see
either project being harmed by doing these given that we're gunning for that
other 95% of the market.

Finally, there are opportunities for promoting the free desktop, from
low-energy work on fd.o project announcements to organising something like
the women in FLOSS day suggested by Thilo back in November. There's no harm
in somebody volunteering to put in a little legwork, nor in us musing about
bigger projects should a funding opportunity pass by.

Regards,
Tom

--
The struggle against power is the struggle of memory against forgetting
 - Kundera