Fwd: [Promotion] Rolling up things

Thilo Pfennig tpfennig at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 03:44:58 PST 2006

On 12/27/06, Tom Chance <tom at acrewoods.net> wrote:

> Step back and look at the sum total of our marketing research for a moment and
> consider how much more sense it would make to share our work, to collaborate
> where appropriate!

One idea I had recently was a collaboration on live media (live cd ,
vmware player images, xen images,...) for showing of GNOME and/or KDE.
Both projects  want live medias and both need a common basis. GNOME
was not able to provide live medias since GNOME 2.12. For KDE I only
saw KDE 3.4.2 here: http://developer.kde.org/~binner/klax/ but not
3.5.5.

So maybe we can work together on this and make soem different flavours
that is showing of KDE, GNOME and FreeDesktop? So there could be
different versions:

 a.) KDE+GNOME and be able to switch and use applications of both worlds.
 b.) KDE only
 b.) GNOME only
 d.).... whatever

So version a could be THE version we start with. We then could share:

 * videos
 * music
 * images
 * text documents (PDF, ODT,...)

All versions could have OpenOffice.org and share many things. Maybe
some people like to make a project out of this. I am tired of every
project trying to do this - and most only get to one release. There
are also hundreds of LUGs worldwide - and maybe we are able to provide
a basis for them, too.  I have started to use Foresight Linux which is
based on rPath and makes it easier to branch and to share via rBuilder
(http://www.rpath.com/rbuilder/). They already have some live cds
there - and one can share packages between these projects. As I am
only beginning with this system I need some more time to put this
together alone, but I would like to start a new project there - and if
some more knowledgeable people like to join maybe we could get this
done very quickly? (BTW: somebody has started some work for KDE here:
http://www.rpath.org/rbuilder/project/kde/release?id=5041 )

This media could also be used as a basis for whoing off other
applications like Koffice or whatever (multimedia,...)

Thilo

--
Blog: http://vinci.wordpress.com
Linked In: http://www.linkedin.com/in/tpfennig