[pulseaudio-discuss] can't get pulseaudio-esound-compat to work

Jim Ramsay i.am at jimramsay.com
Wed Apr 18 11:57:37 PDT 2007

I just found a solution to a very similar problem in my Gentoo install -
this may work for you too.

In short, pulseaudio was creating /tmp/.esd/socket but for some reason
all the esd apps were looking for /tmp/.esdplug:sdmix/socket instead.
Adding the option 'socket=/tmp/.esdplug:sdmix/socket' to the
pulseaudio esound module line in my defaults.pa fixed everything!

To see if this affects you, or if your problem is the very similar, do
the following at a commandline:

  strace -o "|grep 'access.*socket'" esdplay somefile.wav

Mine spit out this line:

  access("/tmp/.esdplug:sdmix/socket", R_OK|W_OK) = -1 ENOENT (No such
  file or directory)

That's how I knew what the esd socket filename should be instead
of /tmp/.esd/socket (the pulseaudio default)

If this doesn't work for you, pasting the entire output of 'strace
esdplay somefile.wav' may shed some more light on the issue.

--
Jim Ramsay
"Me fail English?  That's unpossible!"