[pulseaudio-discuss] can't get pulseaudio-esound-compat to work

Matteo Zandi matteo.zandi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 13:43:13 PDT 2007

On 4/18/07, Jim Ramsay <i.am at jimramsay.com> wrote:

> Adding the option 'socket=/tmp/.esdplug:sdmix/socket' to the
> pulseaudio esound module line in my defaults.pa fixed everything!
>
> do the following at a commandline:
>
>   strace -o "|grep 'access.*socket'" esdplay somefile.wav
>
> Mine spit out this line:
>
>   access("/tmp/.esdplug:sdmix/socket", R_OK|W_OK) = -1 ENOENT (No such
>   file or directory)
>
> That's how I knew what the esd socket filename should be instead
> of /tmp/.esd/socket (the pulseaudio default)

YES!!!! That did it!!! Thank you very much! Actually Pierre suggested the
same but with less copy and paste commands :)

I had to set a different file:

load-module module-esound-protocol-unix socket=/tmp/.esd-1000/socket

Here you can find the output of the strace command:
http://www.pastebin.ca/447035.

Now I have another question, does pointing to .esd-1000 make sense?? 1000 ss
my user id, what if this comp was a multiuser machine??

Thanks again,
Matteo