[pulseaudio-discuss] status report

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Sep 26 04:18:49 PDT 2007

On Tue, 25.09.07 21:17, Brad Midgley (bmidgley at gmail.com) wrote:

Hi!

> Is it true that plugins have to be built inside pulse? I don't see an
> item in the todo lists for this... the bluetooth audio plugins for
> example require an internal bluez library so they need to be built
> inside bluez.

Yes, that is still the case. I have discussed this with Marcel. The
problem is that his library has no stable API because it is moving too
fast in development. And the same is true for our internal plugin
API. Thus right now, neither of us wants to have the glue code outside
of his project. For now we decided that going thorugh the ALSA layers
for BT support in PA is good enough.

It is just not practical right now to hack a plugin outside of our
tree for now. The internal API is changing in a fast pace, and is
continuing to do so for a while. There are still a lot of items on my
TODO list that will require non-trivial changes to the core and also
affect the plugin API.

I am pretty open to merge thrid-party plugins into our upstream
tree (as long as they are open source in some way). I would even hand
out SVN access for this. Also, for plugins in our tree I would do
regular compile tests (if they compile on x86) and continuously update
the API uses if required.  Unless you hack some closed plugin this
should be highly preferable for everyone anyway.

> Does trunk contain the 0.9.7 prerelease now or is it still in a
> branch?

No, everything is still in the branch "lennart".