[pulseaudio-discuss] Alsa bindings and snd_pcm_hw_params (bug?)

Hynek Hanke hanke at brailcom.org
Wed Apr 2 03:37:11 PDT 2008

Hello,

please, I've just found that my software refuses to work with Pulse
Audio through ALSA because  the Pulse Audio ALSA module refuses to let
me call snd_pcm_hw_params when alsa state is PREPARED. (In practice, I
can only call snd_pcm_hw_params once for every connection to ALSA and
subsequent calls will fail).

This behavior has also been partly described here:
http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2007-October/003740.html

However, as Takashi Iwai describes in his reply to the above email, this
is not a correct behavior. ALSA API Reference doesn't mention that
snd_pcm_hw_params could not be called while in state PREPARED.

Please, am I correct that this is a bug or am I missing something? Is
anybody working on it? Is there some  workaround except for closing and
openning  ALSA connection each time I need to change the parameters
(which I trully don't want to do)?

Thank you,
Hynek Hanke