[pulseaudio-discuss] main.c: daemon startup failed.

Sean McNamara smcnam at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 23:19:52 PDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 12:25 +1000, Ben Finney wrote:

> Thanks for helping me get this far.
>
> Could I suggest that the 'daemon startup failed' message be changed,
> to at least include the proximate *reason* why the startup failed.

I like this suggestion. It should be possible (barring any untrapped
signals or segfaults) to keep a list of modules which have caused a
fatal error, and report them once the default.pa file has completed;
something like this:

Daemon startup failed.
The following modules encountered fatal errors:
======
module-alsa-source
module-x11-publish
======
Consider disabling these modules or modifying their parameters.

Such a message should be output to both the console and syslog, even if
daemonized.

This still leaves room for confusion, since module-alsa-source is
spawned by module-hal-detect in your case. The next naive reaction to
the above messages would be, "but I'm not loading module-alsa-source!"

But I agree that better error message reporting would be useful. You
could look to me for a patch, but it might take some prodding ;)

Best Regards,

-Sean