[pulseaudio-discuss] from line-in to network without a pipe?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Feb 13 03:40:37 PST 2008

On Wed, 06.02.08 13:37, cp (cp at zoellich.de) wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm using PA with arecord [...] | pacat [...] to get sound from line-in into
> the network. Works well but with some 250ms of latency. I tried to set
> --buffer-time=10 to arecord, but there is no change in "delta t". Seems to be
> the pipe buffer.
> What's the PA way to do this better (i.e. faster)?

I am not sure what you want to do. If you just want to access your
line-in over the network, just use parec and access the sound source
like any other network source.

If you want to shortcut a sink to source: this is not possible right
now. It has been requested already, it's on my todo list, but not on
top.

Patches welcome, as usual.

Please note that this is not as trivial as it might sound on the first
sight, because the xtals of the sink and the source to connect might
deviate and thus som adpative resampling is necessary. The hadr part
(i.e. code that does the resampling for you)is already available in
PA, it's just a matter of putting things together nicely.