[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulse with a bluetooth headset

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Feb 13 09:24:03 PST 2008

On Thu, 24.01.08 13:04, Colin Guthrie (gmane at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:

> I suspect that someone will want to write a bluetooth headset plugin for
> pulse that can detect when a bluetooth headset is activated (which would
> essentially replace the need to have the bt mac addr in asoundrc. It
> could be intelligent enough to be configured so that streams with a
> certain regexp are automatically moved such that if e.g. skype or ekiga
> is mid call and I just open my headset, by the time I fit to to my ears
> pulse has already moved the stream across.... that is theoretically
> possible but not implemented yet.

the bt alsa plugin didn't use to work with PA, but I heard it nowadays
does. I have no experience with this, however, since Amazon failed
to send me the BT headset I ordered from them -- twice.

Actually Marcel from bluez wanted to implement a BT module for
PA. However, since both the bluez API for audio and the PA module API
are not stable we couldn't agree where this module should live --
inside the source tree of PA, or inside the source tree of BlueZ. We
finally agreed to go through ALSA all the time for now, and come back
to this when the audio stuff in BlueZ is API stable.