[pulseaudio-discuss] FAQ? How to Directly Connect Sources to Sinks, or Sinks to each other?

Erich Boleyn erich at uruk.org
Mon Feb 18 10:21:16 PST 2008

Lennart Poettering (lennart at poettering.net) wrote:

> On Fri, 08.02.08 12:39, Erich Boleyn (erich at uruk.org) wrote:
> > This may be a FAQ, but in setting up my multicast network audio setup
> > with Pulseaudio 0.9.7 using the RTP mechanism, creating local null sinks
> > via the FAQ-recommended method of:
> >
> >    load-module module-null-sink sink_name=rtp
> >    load-module module-rtp-send source=rtp.monitor destination=<multic-addr>
> >    set-default-sink rtp
> >
> > This ends up creating a new virtual sink that applications will now
> > choose instead of the PCM sink.  It does not route to the local audio
> > sink automatically as well.
>
> If you want to have the audio that is played locally also streamed to
> the network, then just connect the rtp-send module directly to the
> monitor of that audio device and skip the creation of the virtual
> device. Just figure out your sink name and then pass source=<sink
> name>.monitor  to the rtp-send module.

Essentially my network setup is: all computers are potential sources of
sound, and any computer with speakers is a potential sink for sound, so
they are all RTP transmitters and I have scripts to dynamically load
or remove the "module-rtp-recv" module using a simple command-line, which
I then have tied into some remotes (to be Wife-Friendly ;-).

So, I considered your suggestion above, but my setup is such that I need
any *incoming* rtp traffic (from loaded "module-rtp-recv" modules) to not
be read by the monitor on the hardware output and then be sent out in a
possible loop.

Or am I confused here?  Is there a way to specify a sink in such a way
that the data you are writing is mixed in only after any "monitor" on
that sink?

I didn't see anything like that, but I'm still kinda new to pulseaudio.

--
    Erich Stefan Boleyn     <erich at uruk.org>     http://www.uruk.org/
"Reality is truly stranger than fiction; Probably why fiction is so popular"