[pulseaudio-discuss] Controlling where module-rtp-send sends multicast packets?

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 18:09:15 PST 2008

On 2/20/08, Matt Patterson <matt at v8zman.com> wrote:
> How do you join rooms together dynamically? That is one of my primary requirements. It sounds like you have gone almost the exact same route as me.

They sell a $350 box for picking the source for each zone.
http://www.htd.com/s.nl/it.A/id.631/.f?sc=12&category=3658

I have my six rooms divided into four zones. I just change the play
list on mpd for the zone to change what it is playing. You can alter
the zone arrangement but it requires flipping switches on the amp
since I don't have a zone controller.

I'm not adding to my existing multiroom setup anymore now that we have
started work on Digispeaker. Digispeaker uses power line networking.
It also has an SD card slot. You copy your play list on the SD cards.
The nodes copy the songs into each other at 80Mb/sec before starting
to play. You just have to keep the clocks tightly synchronized and all
of the zones will stay synchronized by starting the play of each song
at a synchronized instant. The clock drift that occurs while a song is
playing never exceeds a audio sample period. Digispeaker is designed
to not need a central server (optional) or central wiring. It is very
easy to install into retro fit houses - cut a hole in the ceiling,
stick head in, locate some AC, install two speakers and you're done.

Digispeaker has far better THD number than traditional multiroom
systems since the 500ft cable runs are eliminated. The speakers are
digitally bi-amped and the DSP compensates for their flaws. It an open
source project, we should have the first round of hardware ready in a
couple of months.