[pulseaudio-discuss] No shutdown/startup sounds in gnome

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Feb 23 02:38:45 PST 2008

JaM wrote:
> Do you have pulseaudio starting on a per user basis or as a service?
> What are the benefits/disadvantages of each?

Per user.

It's the recommended way as it allows things like user switching to work
as expected (e.g. when I login as a second user, the first user's sound
is effectively muted). This is all handled thanks to consolekit.

Also with a system daemon you have added user management overheads
(users have to be in a certain group to access the daemon etc.)