[pulseaudio-discuss] remote source to local sink

Alex Malinovich demonbane at the-love-shack.net
Tue Jan 15 03:14:39 PST 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 10:45 +0100, Ulf Behrens wrote:
--snip--
> - I'm running 'virtual audio cable' as a virtual soundcard on the
> laptop. This way the audio stream is available as a source stream to
> pulseaudio on the windows laptop.
> - I'm using module-tunnel-source to connect from my linux desktop to the
> windows PC. Why is the tunnel module deprecated? What do I loose using
> this module? And how do I establish this connection directly as it is
> recommended in the documentation?
> - finally I have the stream I want to listen to as a source in my
> pulseaudio server on my linux PC. How to forward to the sink? I've tried
> to use rtp-send with option loop=1 and rtp-rcv on the same pulseaudio
> instance. It works, but it is not very elegant and I'm flooding the
> network with data which is not really needed anywhere. So I'm looking
> for something like the 'virtual audio cable' for internal use in
> pulseaudio. Any hints? Anyone already working on a solution?

Not exactly sure what you're trying to accomplish here? If you're trying
to play audio on your Linux box and have it come out on the speakers for
the Windows box that's pretty easy to do over the network.

If, on the other hand, you want to play audio on your Windows box and
have it come out of the speakers on the Linux box, that's considerably
harder. You would have to have a virtual Pulse soundcard in Windows,
which, AFAIK, doesn't currently exist. There is a virtual ESD soundcard
for Windows, but it hasn't been updated in years and never worked quite
right from what I understand. There might be some other way of
accomplishing this, but I don't know it.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837