[pulseaudio-discuss] How to PA -> PA

David Kågedal davidk at lysator.liu.se
Wed Jun 18 06:44:47 PDT 2008

I have a similar thing I do sometimes. I log on to my server from the
laptop to run a music player on the server and I want the sound output
on the laptop.

I tried streaming directly back over the ssh connection, but I
couldn't get it to not stutter. But running a temporary pulseaudio on
the server with a tunnel back worked.

This is probably not the solution to the original question in this
thread, but I thought I'd show what I did anyway.

I run a script called qlremote to run quodlibet on the server:

  # qlremote
  ssh server -R 14713:localhost:4713 ql

On the server, ql is a script that sets up PA and runs quodlibet:

  # ql
  pulsetunnel
  export PULSE_SERVER=/tmp/pulse-david/native
  quodlibet
  pulseaudio -k

pulsetunnel is a short name for the longer command

  pulseaudio -n \
    -L "module-native-protocol-unix" \
    -L "module-tunnel-sink server=localhost:14713 sink=alsa_output.pci_8086_284b_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0 format=s16le channels=2 rate=44100 sink_name=tunnel.krank channel_map=front-left,front-right" \
    -D

This works rather well, even from over the internet. But it would be
nice if there were a simpler way...

--
David Kågedal