[pulseaudio-discuss] Java/Network/Pulseaudio

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Sep 16 00:53:14 PDT 2008

vincent-perrier wrote:
> Hello,
> I have made an UML virtual machine that uses the pulseaudio
> to transmit sound to the host through the network.

> My question: since ALSA-using applications transmit sounds to and from
> the host very well using pulse, why should the JAVA (sun jdk1.7.0) use
> the pcm that needs padsp command and seems not as good at all?

padsp simply adds LD_PRELOAD library that tells the dynamic linker to
intercept all open() calls (and others) which check to see if the file
that is being opened == /dev/dsp (i.e. the OSS audio device).

If Java uses OSS sound then padsp is needed to "hijack" these calls and
force the audio into pulseaudio.

Now, I know next to nothing about java and sound, but recently Ioana
Ivan wrote on this list about native java support for pulseaudio:

<quote>
We've been trying to write an implementation of
javax.sound.sampled.Mixer(and the associated classes: SourceDataLine,
TargetDataLine, Clip, and Port) that uses pulseaudio as a backend.
</quote>

You may want to check the archive for that message and get in touch. :)

Subject was: "java sound implementation using pulseaudio - ports"

Someone else may be able to help with your current issues too :)

HTHs

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]