[pulseaudio-discuss] Listening music remotely

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Aug 1 10:27:25 PDT 2009

Hi,

I want you to know that I'm ignoring your "disclaimer". It kinda
prevents anyone from reading or replying to your mail as this is a
mailing list and noone is the "intended recipient".... For future
reference you should probably disable it when posting to public mailing
lists!!

'Twas brillig, and Girish Hilage at 01/08/09 14:04 did gyre and gimble:
> Hi,      I want to be able to listen the songs that are being played on
> a Fedora-8 Machine from the Windows machine.    I already have
> pulseaudio-0.9.8-5.fc8 installed on my FC8 machine.

Sadly, the windows versions of PA are lagging considerably behind the
Linux ones. OS X is also seeing good progress in the last couple weeks.

I'm not sure many people actually use the windows versions these days.

What you are trying to do tho' is a bit confusing as it's seems to be
the wrong way round. You say you have music playing on a network device
and you want to somehow connect to it, but usually it's the other way
round - e.g. you run the *server* on the windows machine and tell you're
linux clients to connet to it. This may sound like it's the wrong way
round but it's not! The server is the bit that is physically connected
to the speakers and the clients are any applications that want to
produce sound.

If you do really want to do things the way round you suggest, there are
two options, one of which really doesn't work...

Option 1. Enable RTP on the linux box and publish the sound to the
network. Using any RTP enabled app on windows you hook into the
multicast stream produced by linux and simply play it.

Option 2. On the windows machine you have to connect to and record the
monitor stream of the running sink on the linux box. This piggy backs on
to what is being played currently on the linux box. You then have to
play this somehow... (as this is effectively just recording some data -
much like recording from a microphone!)

Of course there is a third option:
Option 3. Run PA server on windows and tell your Linux box to use that
server, via either the padevchooser (which is obsolete, but as you are
still running F8.....) or via setting the PULSE_SERVER env var.

You can also use Tunnels to connect two servers together, such that you
can play something on your linux box, pumping it to the local speakers
and then use pavucontrol to move it across to the windows box.

All of the above comes with a big disclaimer that I have no idea how the
windows versions work, nor if/how well they actually produce sound via
the waveout module.

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]