[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio error message

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Fri Aug 7 06:36:15 PDT 2009

>> These are the packages that are available on Fedora 11
>>
>> -------------------------
>> pulseaudio.x86_64 : Improved Linux sound server
>> pulseaudio-esound-compat.x86_64 : PulseAudio EsounD daemon compatibility
>> script
>> pulseaudio-libs.i586 : Libraries for PulseAudio clients
>> pulseaudio-libs.x86_64 : Libraries for PulseAudio clients
>> pulseaudio-libs-devel.i586 : Headers and libraries for PulseAudio client
>> development
>> pulseaudio-libs-devel.x86_64 : Headers and libraries for PulseAudio
>> client development
>> pulseaudio-libs-glib2.i586 : GLIB 2.x bindings for PulseAudio clients
>> pulseaudio-libs-glib2.x86_64 : GLIB 2.x bindings for PulseAudio clients
>> pulseaudio-libs-zeroconf.i586 : Zeroconf support for PulseAudio clients
>> pulseaudio-libs-zeroconf.x86_64 : Zeroconf support for PulseAudio clients
>> pulseaudio-module-bluetooth.x86_64 : Bluetooth proximity support for the
>> PulseAudio sound server
>> pulseaudio-module-gconf.x86_64 : GConf support for the PulseAudio sound
>> server
>> pulseaudio-module-jack.x86_64 : JACK support for the PulseAudio sound server
>> pulseaudio-module-lirc.x86_64 : LIRC support for the PulseAudio sound server
>> pulseaudio-module-x11.x86_64 : X11 support for the PulseAudio sound server
>> pulseaudio-module-zeroconf.x86_64 : Zeroconf support for the PulseAudio
>> sound server
>> pulseaudio-utils.i586 : PulseAudio sound server utilities
>> pulseaudio-utils.x86_64 : PulseAudio sound server utilities
>> ------------------------
>>

>> Strange that there are no 32 bit modules.
>>

> Why did you expect them?
>
> We only ship 32bit versions of libraries 32bit apps might link
> to. However The PA server itself (and hence its modules) is only
> available in the native word with of your CPU, i.e. 64bit.

Cool. Thanks for clarifying.

>> If I am running the 64 bit version of the Daemon and it is connected to
>> jack will the 32 bit libs allow me to run a 32 bit app and connect to
>> the 64 bit Daemon?
>>

> Yes, that's the idea.
>

>> Will the 0.9.15 32 bit packages above be compatible with 0.9.16 64
>> bit?
>>

> I try to keep compatibility in the protocol between versions. However
> there is not test suite to verify this. Also, while I am quite sure
> compat of the protocol for pure socket clients should work well, this
> might not be the case for local clients. It is expected that for local
> clients you update all or nothing.

So, it's worth a shot to install them and test. Will do that now.

>> Is there another way to enable this to work similar to the ndiswrapper
>> approach for the older flashplugins?
>>

> Not sure what you mean. ndiswrapper is a win32 compt layer for windows
> network drivers and flash is flash, so I don't see how this fits
> together?

I meant that previous to the libflashplayer being released for 64 bit
there was an option to run the 32 bit version of flash on the 64 bit
platform by using the wrapper. I don't know the exact details of how
ndiswrapper works. Only that it enabled the 32 bit binary to work in my
64 bit system.

> I personally believe that multilib is a desaster and big failure. It's
> hard enough to keep that working in the upstream distro -- but doing
> that in manual builds is even worse.
>

>> I'm looking at this from the point of view of a "normal" user who
>> doesn't know anything about the system other than how to find and run
>> the application they would like to play with. My goal is to understand
>> what exactly we are missing to make it possible for this "normal" user
>> to have firefox running with some flash or realplayer streams, skype
>> ticking over in the background play a few songs in totem and
>> occasionally without having to think about it do some video editing or
>> make some music without bringing down the audio system.
>>

> "Normal" users should use distributions, not roll everything
> themselves...

I'm not suggesting they do but I am trying to understand what is missing
from the system compared to what is actually possible. that way I have a
better overview of the realities of what a normal user is up against.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd