[pulseaudio-discuss] installing header files

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Sat Aug 8 04:16:54 PDT 2009

On 08/08/2009 09:07 PM, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Patrick Shirkey at 08/08/09 06:36 did gyre and gimble:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm compiling libflashsupport to use the libraries in /usr/lib64 by
>> default.
>>
>> It's giving me this compile error:
>>
>>  make
>> gcc -fPIC -shared -O2 -Wall  -lpthread -DLIBDIR=/usr/lib64 \
>>     -DALSA_INTERNAL  -DPULSEAUDIO
>> -DLIBPULSEPATH='"/usr/lib64/libpulse-simple.so.0"' -DESD
>> -DLIBESDPATH='"/usr/lib64/libesd.so.0"' \
>>     -DOSS -DOPENSSL -lssl  \
>>     flashsupport.c -o libflashsupport.so
>> flashsupport.c:232:26: error: pulse/simple.h: No such file or directory
>> flashsupport.c:233:25: error: pulse/error.h: No such file or directory
>>

>> I have a dev version of pulse in stalled but here's what I get with
>> "locate simple.h"
>
> Locate depends on a database that is updated via a cron job. Therefore
> you cannot rely on it's output (especially after recently installing
> something).

I ran updatedb before running locate.

> Please note that libfashsupport was created before flashplayer worked
> properly with pulse via alsa (it used to have a massive bug). Since
> flash 10 this is no longer an issue and libflashsupport is no longer
> needed.
>
> Also, it has never really been tested with the 64 bit version of flash
> so YMMV.

That's what I'm finding out about. What are the limits of the current
state of the art...

>> dev version of the 32 bit libs.
>>
>> ls /usr/include/pulse/
>> rtclock.h
>
> Your install is messed up. There should be many more headers from the
> devel package than that.

Ok.

>> - What do I need to do to get pulse/simple.h to install by default?
>
> It's just part of the pulseaudio devel package (whatever it is
> called). Verify your RPM with rpm -V. I suspect that at some point
> you've tried to install the git version into a /usr prefix (this is a
> very bad practice and will only lead to tears... always uses a custom
> prefix (that's what I do - e.g. --prefix=/home/colin/pulsegit) or use
> /usr/local)
>
> I suspect at some point a make uninstall has clobbered your system's
> files.

I think it was from installing and then subsequently removing the 32 bit
packages for pulse.

>> For now I have just linked from the git repo src/pulse to /usr/include/
>
> Thout shalt not mix and match headers from different versions. Doing
> so can lead to very annoying bugs that will waste a lot of time in
> trying to track down.

I've removed all the 32 bit pulse packages from my system so it's
technically clean.

What is the correct prefix for installing the 64 bit compile? I have the
libs in /usr/lib64. Where should the include files go?