[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulse -> ALSA:spdif broken on my Fedora 10 system.

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Aug 18 08:23:30 PDT 2009

'Twas brillig, and Richard Shaw at 18/08/09 15:36 did gyre and gimble:
> On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 8:57 AM, Lennart
> Poettering<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
>>> load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:0,1 format=s16le rate=48000
>>> channels=2 sink_name=digital.
>> Don't use "hw:xxxx" devices. Always use high-level devices such as
>> "spdif:xxx". The former won't set up your controls correctly, the
>> latter will.
>
> In reviewing the wiki I noticed the following:
> ---
> module-alsa-sink
>
> Provides a playback sink for devices supported by the Advanced Linux
> Sound Architecture (ALSA). The sink name defaults to alsa_output.
>
> In addition to the general device driver options described above this
> module supports:
>
>     device
>
>         The ALSA device to use. (defaults to "hw:0,0")
>
>     fragments
>
>         The desired fragments when opening the device. (defaults to 12)
>
>     fragment_size
>
>         The desired fragment size in bytes when opening the device
> (defaults to 1024)
> ---
>
> Perhaps it should be updated since the device section would lead one
> to believe that the hw:x,x nomenclature is the proper way to set the
> device argument. I don't think at this point I'm enough of an expert
> on PA to do it otherwise I would volunteer.

Actually looking at the code in alsa-sink.c the default device is not
"default" which seems like it's asking for trouble if alsa is routed to
PA :s

The wiki is actually pretty out of date overall with regards to module
documentation... I wonder if we can do something code based to
automatically update it (e.g. generate the wiki docs from the doxygen
docs in some capacity...) Hmmmmm

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]