[pulseaudio-discuss] Sink for event sounds? WAS: paplay - sound roles?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Dec 28 16:30:16 PST 2009

'Twas brillig, and Ng Oon-Ee at 28/12/09 23:43 did gyre and gimble:
> On Mon, 2009-12-28 at 15:45 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>> On Mon, 28.12.09 17:41, Ng Oon-Ee (ngoonee at gmail.com) wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a way to specify a sound to be a 'system sound' as defined
> by
>>> System Sounds on pavucontrol, when played by paplay?
>>>
>>> If so, then programs such as pidgin which allow playing event
>>> notifications through a command would be useable without
> modification.
>>
>> paplay --property=media.role=event ...
>>
>> Lennart
>>
> A follow-up on this, how do I move event sounds to a different sink? For
> other streams I simply use pavucontrol, but it doesn't seem that there's
> any selector for the "System Sounds" item. It just selects the
> 'normal' (laptop sound card output) and I can't figure a way to move it
> to my BT headset without turning the sound card output off.

I believe that libcanberra always ensures that event sounds are played
on the default sink. Not sure of the inner workings there nor of whether
it should be a stream-restore job (it's capable of routing e.g. all
event sounds to a given sink, overriding (IIRC) the per-application
device rules.

Incidentally, when playing with pidgin, are you sure paplay is the right
thing to use... in the absence of direct libcanberra support, could you
not use "canberra-gtk-play -i message-new-instant" or similar to play
the relevant sound from the FDO sound theme naming spec[1] when the
appropriate action occurs. I'd imagine writing a libcanberra plugin for
purple/pidgin wouldn't be very hard at all... basically just bridging
code.... (although this is without the benefit of looking at either set
of APIs in any great depth :p)

Incidentally Lennart, can you sort out the following:

http://0pointer.de/public/sound-theme-spec.html :
Version says 0.2 at the top, change summary mentions 0.5.

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/sound-theme-spec :
Links to the above link as "version 0.3" (not 0.2 or 0.5 as expected!)

This is very confusing - can all links and versions linked from the
official places please be made to be the most recent versions?

Col

[1] http://0pointer.de/public/sound-naming-spec.html

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]