[pulseaudio-discuss] Per-application volume glitching, and an idea for multiple channel volume control

Jud Craft craftjml at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 17:45:49 PST 2009

Pardon the lack of quoting.  It makes me feel as if I'm debating
points, rather than discussing.  But...

> If a media player terminated its stream it will not show up. But I
> would say it is a bit a constructed use case: why would you want to
> adjust the volume of something you don't hear? I mean, music volume
> you probably want to adjust while it plays because music playback is a
> long time process.

That does seem to support your argument that "we only need to track
sources currently playing a sound."

If any example could be found of an application that does not have
continuous long-period playback, yet you would still want to be able
to adjust its PA properties at any time, this would be a good
counterexample.  I can't think of one of course, but that remains the
one way to attack your argument there.  Until then, if I have no
counterexample, I must admit that you're right -- it works well enough
as it is.

With the exception of Skype, of course, which has streams that
sporadically appear and vanish, and for some reason the streams
"flicker" in and out of existence as the Skype audio occasionally
glitches.  A horrible wart on the UI to see, but I can understand
you've stated your approach and anything else is up to them.

> PA actually hasn't forgotten. We store the volume/device of a stream
> in our stream database. This database is actually readable from
> clients. (In fact pavucontrol reads/modifies it for the event sound
> slider). It is solely an UI issue to implement what you ask for --
> although I still doubt that it makes much sense for anything that is
> not an event sounds.

Very interesting to hear.  Thanks for the reply.