[pulseaudio-discuss] Few questions about pulseaudio

Maxim Levitsky maximlevitsky at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 03:33:22 PST 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-29 at 22:42 +0000, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Maxim Levitsky at 29/01/09 18:55 did gyre and gimble:
> > Here on ubuntu 8.10, it works nicely, I now reinstall in on all my
> > systems.
>
> If you used 8.04 then I'm not surprised you were disappointed. Ubuntu
> did a pretty bad job of integrating pulseaudio into the system which
> really didn't reflect well on us (but more so on them!)
>
> > I have few questions though:
> >
> > * Is this possible to make skype record from pulseaudio (I call it PA
> > from now on)?
> >
> > Playback through skype works fine now, and thanks, but I would like to
> > do same with recording.
> >
> > I am asking this, as maybe you created a workaround for this in dev
> > version of skype.
>
> I'm not sure but I think I remember Lennart talking about fixing the
> recording interface a bit recently. We'll see if he comments :)
>
> > * It seems that PA supports network sound, I found this to be very nice
> > feature, for example I could play sounds remotely, but how I connect to
> > remote server, but without disabling to auth system?
>
> On each machine, there should be a ~/.pulse-cookie file. If you you
> forgoe the automatic loading via module-zeroconf-discover and load the
> module-tunnel-sink manually, you can add the argument cookie=<filename>
> to allow auth.
I have two systems.
One has network sound enabled, and auth enabled.
How I connect to that system via pulseaudio?
via zerocconf

> I am planning on working on a notification and simple input structure in
> pulse whenever Lennart commits support for integrating with the GLib
> mainloop. It should form the basis to ask for things like a password
> etc. when connecting so future versions make this slightly more user
> friendly.
>

> > * Is it possible to combine input from several cards together?
> > This would be cool for karaoke, as I could combine input of monitor of
> > sound player with microphone, and record from that.
>
> There is module-combine (which works on sinks), so I guess there is
> scope for someone to write a module-combine-source too. It's not
> currently possible tho'.
>
> > * pulseaudio mixer seems to be build around input and output devices.
> > each device has just one volume, but each device can have several
> > inputs, but currently PA doesn't allow to configure that, will  (is)
> > that (be) possible?
>
> I think the development version of PA handles this better. it should
> autoprobe for different device configurations etc.

Currently PA presents each soundcard as just two streams with only
volume, for example onn the desktop there are 3 record devices, a
subdevices of a single alsa device, but PA just sees the first.
also can you add to each stream besides the volume, the input source?

It would be great to have PA recording in skype.

Networking supports seems to be very basic (at least with padevchooser)

I could only connect to remote server and use it, but what if I want to
record from remote server, and play localy?

Also list of network servers doesn't seem to update often, and the
program crashes a lot.

Best regards,
	Maxim Levitsky