[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulse audio and NFS home directories.

mike _ arizonagroovejet at gmail.com
Sat May 16 04:44:21 PDT 2009

Although it's not a PulseAudio issue per-se, I thought I'd let you all
know that after some discussion with a very helpful colleague who
maintains the servers the NFS mounts are done from, it looks like I've
found the cause and solution to the large file size issue.

My colleague suggested it might be a block size issue and that I look
at the files in question using stat. This revealed

me at foo:~> stat test_gdbm.dbm
  File: `test_gdbm.dbm'
  Size: 3146027         Blocks: 6176       IO Block: 1048576 regular file

That's a big block size - 1MB. Doing the same on the server that
exports the NFS mount gives a block size of only 8KB. The NFS mounts
weren't being done with any rsize or wsize specified by the client so
it would appear that on Linux the values default to 1048576 and that
gdbm uses this value in the absence of any other being specified.
(Presumably PulseAudio doesn't specify a value when creating the
files.) It looks like an empty gdbm database takes 3 blocks, then the
data PulseAudio causes it to take another block. 3.1MB occupies 4x1MB
blocks. With the files created on the local disk the IO Block size is
4KB and the files PulseAudio creates are 13KB . 13KB occupies 4x4KB
blocks.

If I specify an rsize and wsize of 32768 for the NFS mounts then the
files are created with a size of ~97KB. Specifying smaller values
results in correspondingly smaller files. Tests done writing files to
the NFS mount using dd appear to indicate that specifying a value for
rsize and wsize does not harm performance. With or without specifying
a value the read and write speed was always the maximum possible over
a 10/100 connection.

regards,

mike