[pulseaudio-discuss] Desperation with idling

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Oct 12 07:28:51 PDT 2009

On Fri, 09.10.09 15:36, Alvaro Alonso Jiménez (alvaroalo at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I have checked all the pulseaudio code in order to solve the problem of
> idling when I have a sink different from the ALSA one (in other words, a new
> module-null-sink). I need to code this stream using ffmpeg, and if I use the
> ALSA sink, everything works fine, but whenever I create a new sink, and I
> forward the applications to output the audio through that sink, if the
> applications have no sound, the codification states blocked (waiting for an
> audio stream). I need to have a permanent audio stream - if the application
> has no audio, the pulseaudio should work as if there were silence, shouldn't
> it?? -
>
> I have the module suspend-on-idle disabled, and I have checked that there is
> a thread about idling per-device or sth like that, but I don't understand it
> at all...
>
> Can anybody help me?? I would be really really grateful if so!!!!!

I am sorry, but the not-unterstanding is mutual. I really cannot make
sense of you wrote above. Sorry. Could you rephrase what exactly your
problem is? Unlees I understand what you want to do and what doesn't
work as expected I cannot help you. Please explain your problem in a
way that is understandable even for people who don't know the context
of the project your are working on.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net