[pulseaudio-discuss] Desperation with idling

Alvaro Alonso Jiménez alvaroalo at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 01:58:17 PDT 2009

Ok, I will try to be more explicit.

I am trying to grab the sound of some applications using the parec tool. I
want to have independent audio sinks, one for each application, task that I
have accomplished creating different null-sinks, redirecting the audio
streams of that applications to that sinks, and finally, specifying the
corresponding monitors when using parec.

The problem comes from the fact that when the application I want to grab the
sound from has no sound - I am testing it with firefox and a website with no
sound -, and the sink is one of those I have just created. In these
conditions, when executing parec, the program states blocked waiting for an
audio stream - and despite having the module suspend-on-idle disabled -. If
the application has sound - firefox with a website with sound -, everything
works fine!!!!

Ah, and regarding the ALSA sink stuff... When the sink I am grabbing the
sound from is the ALSA one, I apparently do not have this problem.

I think I have explained the core of the problem, and I would be extremely
grateful if you could help me with that.

Thank you very very much.

Alvaro

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 4:28 PM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net>wrote:

> On Fri, 09.10.09 15:36, Alvaro Alonso Jiménez (alvaroalo at gmail.com) wrote:
>
> > Hello everybody,
> >
> > I have checked all the pulseaudio code in order to solve the problem of
> > idling when I have a sink different from the ALSA one (in other words, a
> new
> > module-null-sink). I need to code this stream using ffmpeg, and if I use
> the
> > ALSA sink, everything works fine, but whenever I create a new sink, and I
> > forward the applications to output the audio through that sink, if the
> > applications have no sound, the codification states blocked (waiting for
> an
> > audio stream). I need to have a permanent audio stream - if the
> application
> > has no audio, the pulseaudio should work as if there were silence,
> shouldn't
> > it?? -
> >
> > I have the module suspend-on-idle disabled, and I have checked that there
> is
> > a thread about idling per-device or sth like that, but I don't understand
> it
> > at all...
> >
> > Can anybody help me?? I would be really really grateful if so!!!!!
>
> I am sorry, but the not-unterstanding is mutual. I really cannot make
> sense of you wrote above. Sorry. Could you rephrase what exactly your
> problem is? Unlees I understand what you want to do and what doesn't
> work as expected I cannot help you. Please explain your problem in a
> way that is understandable even for people who don't know the context
> of the project your are working on.
>
> Lennart
>
> --
> Lennart Poettering                        Red Hat, Inc.
> lennart [at] poettering [dot] net
> http://0pointer.net/lennart/           GnuPG 0x1A015CC4

Alvaro Alonso Jiménez
Universidad Carlos III de Madrid