[pulseaudio-discuss] Desperation with idling

Alvaro Alonso Jiménez alvaroalo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 04:43:29 PDT 2009

You mean that when having silence, since there is no change, there is no
necessity to be updating the content of the output stream, don't you??? And
if so, is there any way of modifying this?? I have been looking into the
source code, but I am not able to locate where to configure this block size
so it will not make difference between the cases of having silence and
having sound.

Thank you very much, Lennart, you are really helpful!

Regards,

Alvaro

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 4:40 PM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net>wrote:

> On Tue, 20.10.09 15:09, Alvaro Alonso Jiménez (alvaroalo at gmail.com) wrote:
>
> > Ok, let see, I have finally made it work.
> > However, I have another drawback. Since I am using the audio stream to be
> > multiplexed with video with ffmpeg, I have noticed that when sending
> audio,
> > ffmpeg works at a normal codifying rate. However, when having silence, it
> > works at a slower rate, and then, the final result is a bit unpleasant,
> > since the final video image goes "by jumps" - this is, the codifier just
> > codify each 2 seconds or so, so the image just changes after 2 secs -.
> > I don't know if it has to do with pulseaudio or ffmpeg, I have started
> > looking in ffmpeg, but if u know there's a problem in pulseaudio, please
> let
> > me know!!!
>
> To minimize wakeups we increase our block size when noone requested
> anything particularly low. Minimizing wakeups minimizes power
> consumption.
>
> Lennart
>
> --
> Lennart Poettering                        Red Hat, Inc.
> lennart [at] poettering [dot] net
> http://0pointer.net/lennart/           GnuPG 0x1A015CC4

Alvaro Alonso Jiménez
Universidad Carlos III de Madrid