[pulseaudio-discuss] My default sound devices are not retained after suspend or reboot

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Feb 11 04:38:32 PST 2010

On Thu, 11.02.10 10:12, Sebastien PIMENTA (pim at pulsradio.com) wrote:

Your mailer is broken.

> Lennart : concerning the card indexes, I'm not sure how to use the
> control device name, like you said.  One of my problem is that I use
> darkice for recording and broadcasting and its conf file is set up
> to record hw(1,0). If I don't edit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf to
> fix the sound card order, darkice will record the wrong audio card
> after a reboot or suspend, because the card order changes.

Not sure what darkice is. But configuring it to "hw:1,0" is a bad
idea. You should not use the low-level "hw:xxx" access mode, unless
you really know what you are doing. Use the higher level "front:xxx"
or so. Also, don't specify more than the card identifier, i.e. don't
use "front:xxx,yyy", use "front:xxx". Finally, as I already mentioned,
use device names, or control device node paths for opening. Such as:
"front:Intel", or "front:/dev/snd/by-path/pci-0000:00:1b.0" or
suchlike.

This will make things much more robust and independant of device index
changes.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net