[pulseaudio-discuss] Virtual source (microphone)

Grzegorz Kryza gkryza at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 05:26:22 PST 2010

On Mon, 2010-01-18 at 13:04 +0000, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Grzegorz Kryza at 18/01/10 12:29 did gyre and gimble:
> > Hello.
> >
> > I'm trying to figure out how to add a virtual source device.
> > Virtual microphone available in all pulse enabled applications as a
> > sound source. Voice data for this source should be provided by a third
> > party application over a socket, pipe or any other inter process
> > communication method.
> >
> > This can be done using 'module-pipe-source' but it was recently removed
> > from Fedora packages so I'm looking for alternative.
>
> If you need this functionality, I suggest you just rebuild the fedora
> package and include the pipe stuff.

Yes, this will solve a problem on single computer.
But how to distribute a application on multiple machines, different
distros, different pulse versions... Not a easy task.

> Personally I don't really see the point in excluding the pipe modules
> from a package.. They may not be overly useful to most users but by the
> same token they are 40k in size and it seems fairly harmless to include
> them for the few users that can make use of them. I guess there could be
> security concerns?

Rather not, I found only this:
http://www.mail-archive.com/pulseaudio-discuss@mail.0pointer.de/msg04137.html

Thanks for a answer.