[pulseaudio-discuss] Problems with mplayer in Ubuntu 10.04

Mihai Sucan mihai.sucan at gmail.com
Tue May 11 04:08:17 PDT 2010

Le Tue, 11 May 2010 14:02:09 +0300, Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie> a
écrit:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> 'Twas brillig, and Daniel Chen at 10/05/10 21:20 did gyre and gimble:
>> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 12:06 PM, Mihai Sucan <mihai.sucan at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Tested with a Guest session (temporarily created user account, always
>>> fresh/clean). The same happens. I simply start mplayer and pulseaudio
>>> stops
>>> outputting any sound.
>>
>> According to
>> http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2010-May/079934.html
>> this symptom is caused by the outdated version of openal-soft shipped
>> in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. The remarks in that thread are unfortunately
>> ignorant of the fact that the tag date for 1.12.854 was Tue, 30 Mar
>> 2010 05:05:21 +0000 (22:05 -0700), which was much too close to Lucid's
>> release date. Also importantly, unless there is a significantly
>> compelling reason, the Lucid development cycle synced directly
>> (without any Ubuntu changes) from Debian testing. Please note that of
>> this writing, the version of openal-soft in Debian testing *and*
>> unstable remains the precise version that shipped in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS:
>
> Just out of curiosity, did he refer the 1.12.854 version? Am I right in
> saying that the version which is hideously broken is the 1.11.753?
>
> If so, it doesn't seem to mention this fact in the 1.12.854 release
> notes which I find confusing.
>
> I'm not that familiar with openal-soft so can't really comment, but I
> want to make sure we avoid any similar problems (considering there are
> enough other problems right now...)

This is an interesting point, indeed. I do recommend contacting Reimar for
further details. I can only offer my system for testing - that is, if
there's any package of openal available that might fix this issue, then I
shall be told, to see if it does really fix the issue I am reporting, or
not.

Best regards,
Mihai

--